.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, June 09, 2006

 

MING CAMPBELL'S VISION OF A BETTER BRITAIN

IMPORTANT SPEECH FROM THE LIBERAL DEMOCRAT LEADER -
SIR MENZIES CAMPBELL MP

Our party must be the party of ideas, with policies founded on values and fashioned with rigour. Our instincts are against authoritarianism and based on the freedom of the individual. We should be unashamed in our pursuit of liberty and freedom and opportunity.

Britain needs a radical shake-up of government; a democratic revolution to restore accountability, legitimacy and representation. To restore power to local government and to give more influence to the electorate.
Those of us who care about social justice must also care about criminal justice. It is not illiberal to be prepared to defend the rule of law. There is nothing liberal about people living in an atmosphere of fear. There is nothing liberal about tolerating violence.

I will never waver in my determination to uphold civil liberties and fundamental freedoms; nor will I waver in my view that breaking the law has consequences and in appropriate cases should carry punishment.

I will never waver in my view that deterrence and detection are much more likely with locally based, neighbourhood policing with strong ties to the local community.
There is a great opportunity for the Liberal Democrats. Because we are closest to the heartbeat of the British people. Because we understand that people want a government that values freedom and opportunity; challenges unfairness; attacks injustice and confronts prejudice.
I want what every Liberal Democrat wants: freedom, opportunity and compassion.

I want a liberal country,

I want a Britain to be proud of.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?